Pages

Monday, December 10, 2012

KPOP Review: Younique Unit "Maxstep"



SM has made yet another sub-unit. Although this one is a bit different from the other sub-units created by SM. First of all it focuses mostly on the dancing rather than the singing. Second, Hyundai helped SM in creating and sponsoring, I think, the group. Lastly it is made up from different SM groups: SHINee, Super Junior, EXO, and Girls Generation. They picked the best dancers of the groups and put them together to make a Ultimate Dancing Group! This was a genius idea. I also thought that it was really cool that they just had one girl, Hyoyeon. It made her look badass, except for the fact that she only appeared at the end of the MV.

For a group that focuses on dancing, I thought that the MV would have a lot of, you know, DANCING. It was mostly a bunch of fancy close-ups and angle views of the idols. Not what I was expecting. The music video was still pretty awesome. There is this part in the song when Kai screams the word right I don't know why but a always laugh when I hear him. Maybe because it's a little awkward coming from Kai, or it's just childish compared to the screamo bands I used to listen to (occasionally I still do) before I discovered kpop. One part I absolutely loved was Eunhyuk's rap in the middle of the song, if I miss that part I have to restart the song from the beginning. Hyoyeon's rap was pretty good to, but I didn't think the fast rapping fit well with the tone of the song at that moment. Still she did great and I LOVED the outfits she had. The guys outfits, however, were a bit weird. I didn't really like the whole pajama pants Henry was wearing or those boxing gloves that don't match, or Eunhyuk's hair, or Kai's outfit when he is sitting on all that gold. I gotta say I think that whole car theme is really cool. They had cars in their video, the choreography looks like they are driving a car, and they make car references in the lyrics. Pretty smart if you ask me.

The lyrics are kind of what I expected them to be. Just the singing about themselves.
"The whole world shakes shakes when seeing my exceptional image
My roar resounds into the silent atmosphere,
If I hesitated I can’t even escape it,
Destroyed, pushed away, only the best of the best survive"
This snippet of the lyrics pretty much explains the whole song itself don't you think? There are some other minor things in the lyrics. Like how it talks about how they gave you an opportunity, now it's your turn to seize it. The lyrics say that there is things you will need to overcome, but it will feel better once you do. Also, the reference to cars I mentioned before is this lyric right here:
"ROCK! LET ME TAKE A RIDE. SHIFT IT INTO DRIVE."
That is just about it for the lyrics. You know that's what I like about Kpop. Some songs can have deep meaningful lyrics that will take you paragraphs to explain, and then there are those that can be explained in a sentence or less.

I really don't know what to say about the English. It wasn't mispronounced or anything. It's just that there was English in the song that I didn't even hear until I read the lyrics and heard the song again. So I don't know if I should dock points off or what. Well since I didn't know there was more English then I thought there was I guess it does make sense that a rate it less than perfect.

I kind of already talked about the MV, but let me try to fish out the things I haven't already said about it. Oh yes regarding Hyoyeon. Her entrance was spectacular. It was really cool and I liked the dance they did when she blended in with the group. That still doesn't make up for the fact that she was only in there for one out of the three minute long music video. Something I don't quite understand was those scenes where Kai was sitting on all that golden stuff. What was that supposed to symbolize? Or does it really just mean nothing and they just did that to make him look cool? I don't really know, but oh well. The ending of the song was nicely wrapped by the glass shattering. Now that I think about it I didn't really talk much about Luhan. I think he's very cute. I think I should have mentioned Luhan a little more, but Luhan didn't really stand out in this MV.


My Ratings

Lyrics: 3 out of 5
MV: 4 out of 5
Song: 3.7 out of 5
English: 4.8 out of 5

Dance: 5 out of 5
Overall: 4.25 out of 5


Here is the MV:





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank for commenting