Pages

Sunday, November 4, 2012

KPOP Review: Block B "Nillili Mambo"



Block B has made their comeback and I am more than pleased. First I want to say that I wasn't even a fan of Block B until this song. I have heard of them, but I never actually took the time to look them up. Big mistake. This song is awesome and is currently stuck in my head.

I was hooked by this song on the first listen, which is quiet rare in my case as it usually takes two to four listens until I like the song. I admit that for about the first minute I thought the song had a weird sound, it was bizarre. After half way through the video I was into the song. By the time the video finished I instantly replayed it. From what I read this is their first comeback after a previous controversy, which I have briefly looked into. Although they had a problem, and there was probably some lingering anger from the people, they seemed confident and charismatic onstage. For that I give them props. Another thing I like is their image, they have the image that is really different in the Kpop scene and that provides variety.

The song talks about two things, I think. From what I got out of the English translation was that you have to have fun and enjoy the party. You know "bob your head to the music". Get frantic. Go Crazy. All that stuff. The other subject the song talks about is Block B. It says how they are stronger and better than the other guys. It doesn't really specify who they are talking to. I assume they are saying they are the best in music as in singing, dancing, and "feeling the rhythm". Well, those are my thoughts on the lyrics of the song.

The English portion of the song was alright. The beginning where Zico says that stuff in English was perfect. No mispronunciations, so good job. The thing that bothered me the most about the English was that some of it didn't fit the theme. For example "this song is groovy." No pirate says that, or at least from my knowledge of pirates. Also I'm pretty sure pirates don't say "rock and roll." Apart from the English not fitting perfectly with the theme, P.O didn't have the best pronunciation at the end. Maybe it's because his voice is so ruff, but I just couldn't get over that fact. 

The theme they used for their MV was pretty clever. Pirates is an interesting and easy theme to work with. I liked the music video, and I have to say that my all time favorite part of the video is when Kyung is with the chicken. Although the MV confuses me a little. At the beginning you see Zico listening to Vietnamese music, while he is getting a massage. He then sees two men open a briefcase with two diamonds and that perks his interest. Then the two men go somewhere leaving the briefcase unprotected and able to be easily stole. Who in the world does that! I would also like to know where the heck could they have gone. This gives Zico a perfect chance to steal the diamonds. As he is escaping he sees Taeil and quickly runs to him to show him what he has. They try to open it by banging it on the ground and doing all kinds of other stuff. In the end they get it open by opening it from the top like a regular person should do. Something else that confuses me is that people in the video have guns, but they don't shoot them! The worst was when U-Kwon didn't have any bullets and he was cornered by the men, but instead of shooting U-Kwon who is defenseless they decide to beat him up WITH THE GUNS! My thoughts were,"Really? You have two perfectly good guns, have the guy cornered, and his revolver has no freakin' bullest. Yet you choose to beat him with the guns instead of shooting him and getting this whole dilemma done with." Apart from those non logical parts the ending was quite comical. The chipmunk voices were a good addition to make that scene funnier. 

One more thing. Doesn't Jaehyo have a strong resemblance to U-KISS' Kiseop. I can't get over at how they look so much alike.

My Ratings

Lyrics: 3.5 out of 5

MV: 4.5 out of 5
Song: 5 out of 5
English: 4.5 out of 5

Dance: 3 out of 5

Overall: 4.7 out of 5


Here is the video:







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank for commenting