Pages

Thursday, September 13, 2012

My First Post Yay!!!

K-pop Review: G-Dragon "That XX"


Ok, so this is my first blog post. Yeah I know it's kind of unprofessional to post that it's my first blog post, but hey might as well state the obvious.My first post would be, as you guessed, a Kpop review on GD's new music video, "That XX". 

I really loved the song and if you really took the time to read through the lyrics it is beautiful and heartwarming. The song starts off with GD saying he saw his friend's, or crush, boyfriend with another woman and that he has told her already multiple times that he is no good. The girl is stubborn and states that her boyfriend can never do a thing like that. Thus, GD is faced with an internal conflict of staying quiet and watching the one he loves suffer just so that she can be happy (sadist much). 
"That XX, what does he have that I don’t
Why can’t I have you
That XX doesn’t love you
How much longer are you going to cry yourself silly?"

I would like to say that the title for this song is GENIUS. Well for me I found it pretty creative, because in the song he says "Geu saekki", which translated in English means "that bastard". So, what they did when naming this song was use the English translation of it, "that bastard", and instead of putting bastard they replaced it with XX, which is meant to represent the censorship used in the song. In my opinion that was really smart.

Next up is the music video. It was a beautiful video with lots of meaning that can be interpreted in different ways. What I was able to interpret of this video was that GD is the friend of the girl with the douchebag boyfriend, who is also played by GD (either YG didn't want to pay for an actor to play the douchebag or GD really likes camera time). So the man with the scruffy blonde hair, GD as he plays the role of the friend, is always looking at the girl from afar. This explains why he is looking out the window, in the hole on the door, and being just plain old stalker-ish. He doesn't go near her because he doesn't want to get her mad since he knows he's going to tell her that she has a "lint licking" boyfriend like always. The girl, like always, will disagree with him and say she has the most perfect guy in the world.

Meanwhile the douchebag is hitting it off with another woman (lol this sounds like my uncle).
"Walking on the street, I bumped into your man (Yeah I saw him)
I didn’t want to believe it, but my hunch turned out right (I told you)
He’s not wearing that ring you gave him, there’s another girl by his side"
In the MV Mr.butthole dumps the ring that his girlfriend, GD's friend, gave him in a cup of water and then averts his attention to a woman. Further into the video you see the girl happily talking to him on the phone (btw that's a pretty big phone), but on the other side of that phone he's with another woman. Way to treat a woman huh.
"Now you’re getting angry with me (Why?)
You say “He’s definitely not that kind of person” (Sure you’re right)"
As I said before the girl will not listen to her friend when he says that she is better off without him. Her friend sees her suffering, as you can tell by her distressed face during some parts of the MV.
"They say love is blind, Oh baby, you’re so blind"
This is probably my favorite line of the song. It basically means that the girl is really blinded by what she thinks is love that she doesn't notice how the douche treats her like crap. It frustrates GD that he can't protect the one he loves and that he can't be the one to be in the heart of his crush, and instead is a good for nothing jerk. GD shows his frustration by throwing things around the room (it's ok GD I'm here for you!).

In the end the girl never opens here eyes and sees the truth. She stays with the jerk, who in the last scene sits arrogantly next to her. As they sit there they don't give off the vibe of a happy couple. The girl looks sad and depressed and Mr.Butthole seems to not really care for her presence.

The English in this song was used in a good way. It was used to express the thoughts the friend wants to say to the girl but doesn't. It was a nice touch. The only problem I had with the English was when GD say "oh baby you so blind" instead of  saying "you're so blind". It's ok though, since GD always talks in a sort of slang when he speaks English.

All in all the song was amazing and the video was pretty. My only complaints is that the bleeping in the song is annoying. They should have also used a different guy to play the role of the mean boyfriend as that might have caused some confusion.

One more thing, a lot of people were complaining that the girl in the music video was to young making GD look like a pedophile. I disagree. She was just used because she's pretty and since she will be debuting soon
(I think) they wanted to make her and the group a little more publicly known. Besides it's not like GD is actually dating her in real life. So calm down whoever it is that is complaining.

My Ratings

Lyrics: 4 out of 5
MV: 4.5 out of 5
Song: 5 out of 5
English: 5 out of 5

Overall: 4.5 out of 5

Here check out the music video.




 Here are the characters GD portrayed.
Bad Boyfriend GD




Good Friend GD


On a similar note be on the look-out as GD will be releasing another MV sometime soon. Hope it's as good as this one. Let's face it's GD so it most likely will be good, but you never know.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank for commenting